return to home page


The following information may assist you in choosing which type of visa is most appropriate for your stay in Thailand. If you are still unsure please contact a member of staff for clarification.


****As of Friday the 13th November 2015 the DOUBLE and TRIPLE entry tourist visa will no longer be available. This will be replaced by a MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST VISA****





UK passport holders are not required to obtain a visa if they are entering Thailand for tourism purposes only and with a maximum stay not exceeding 30 days, however onward travel or return tickets must be produced at immigration when arriving in Thailand as proof of exiting the country within the permitted timescale.

Please note that tourists under the visa exemption category who would like to leave and re-enter Thailand may only stay for a cumulative duration of a maximum 90 days within a 6 month period of the first entry.

   *Passport holders from countries other than the UK please contact our office for further information on your tourist visa exemption rules.



This visa is for passport holders entering Thailand for tourism purposes only with a stay exceeding 30 days. There are 3 types of visa's in this category which are listed below

Single Entry Tourist Visa - This visa allows one entry into Thailand with a maximum stay of 60 days (Entry must be made in to Thailand within 90 days of the visa be issued)

Please note a further 30 day extension of stay is possible by application to the immigration authorities in Thailand and upon payment of the current fee. (please contact the local immigration in Thailand for confirmation of this fee)

Multi Entry Tourist Visa - This visa allows multiple entries into Thailand with a maximum stay of 60 days on each entry and is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Applicants are required to submit the following documents for consideration:

1. A completed application form with 2 identical professionally printed photographs (45 mm high x 35 mm wide)

2. A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application

3. Proof of resident status in the UK or Ireland (Passport or UK/Ireland residence card) along with a photocopy

4. Original bank statement showing a balance of at least £5,000 for a minimum of 6 months or a print0out with official stamp of the bank.

5.A letter from the applicants employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Consulate/Embassy). If you are self-employed, your self assessment and a company registration document are required.

6. A photocopy of applicants return ticket home

7. A photocopy of the hotel reservation confirmation in Thailand.


Visa Fees

Single Entry - £25

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa - £125

If you require any further information please contact the consulate


 *Please note we are not authorized to issue visa's for passport holders from the below countries...

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea (PDRK), Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Citizens from these countries must apply direct in person at the Royal Thai Embassy, London


This visa is available to UK passport holders travelling to Thailand for purposes other than Tourism. Please see the below table for the different Non-Immigrant categories. further information can be obtained by contacting our office

Non-Immigrant visa are available in two lengths of stay

  1. Single, valid for a stay of 90 days (entry into Thailand must be made within 90 days of the visa being issued)
  2. Multiple, valid for a year but with a permitted maximum stay of 90 days at a time. once the 90 days are up you must leave Thailand and re-enter over a border crossing, this will then start your next set of 90 days (this visa is valid for a year from the date of issue)

Passport holders from countries other than the UK please contact this office for further information on your qualification for a non-immigrant visa

Category "F" To perform official duties.
Category "B" To conduct business, to work, to study teaching course, to work as an English teacher, to take scuba diving or boxing lessons, to work as a sport coach, to do an internship, to work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter for a short period.

Supporting documentation from yourself and the employee must be submitted in advance for approval before making an appointment. please contact our office to discuss further what documentation is required.

Category "IM" To invest with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries and Government Departments concerned.
Category "IB" To invest or perform other activities relating to investment, subject to the provision of the established laws on investment promotion.
Category "ED" To study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour, to participate in projects or seminars, to attend a conference or training course, to study as a foreign Buddhist monk.

Supporting documentation from yourself and the institute/employee must be submitted in advance for approval before making an appointment. please contact our office to discuss further what documentation is required.

Category "M" To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter.
Category "R" To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned.
Category "RS" To conduct scientific research or training or teaching in a research institute.
Category "EX" To undertake skilled work or to work as an expert or specialist.
Category "O" 


A voluntary Job, accompanying a spouse or parent who is working in Thailand
Category "O" with multiple entries Pension earners or applicants who are married to a Thai National

If you are drawing a state pension, applicant will be required to provide evidence by either showing a recent bank statement showing state pension entering OR a recent letter from the department of work and pensions.  


If you are Married to a Thai National you must submit -

  • A copy of the marriage certificate
  • A copy of your spouses Thai ID or Thai Passport.




Please note that consulates are not authorised to issue all the above Non-Immigrant visa's, some may be submitted to the Thai Embassy in London, please contact us for further information

****All Non-Immigrant visas must provide a guarantor (name and address) in both the UK and Thailand when completing the application form****

Non-Immigrant Fees

Single - £50

Multiple - £125






Persons aged 50 or above are now being allowed to take up retreat in Thailand initially for at least one year from date of arrival provided they are able to meet stipulated financial and other requirements, i.e. 

  1. Annual income equivalent to 800,000 Baht or monthly income of 65,000 Baht. (Current rate but subject to review)
  2. Provide Medical Certificate confirming applicant has no infectious disease, (including Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Filatiasis, Drug addiction, V.D. Alcoholism is also precluded) and has not suffered an infectious disease for over 3 months.
  3. Provide statement confirming applicant has no criminal record.
  4. If accompanied by Spouse – Marriage Certificate to be supplied. A proportional increase in annual income would also apply.

The above documentation has to be certified by a Notary Public and be submitted with 4 completed Visa Application Forms and 4 recent photographs, Passport size, together with Passport and appropriate fee of £125

At the present time the appropriate Visa “NON-IMMIGRANT” CAT “O-A” can only be obtained through personal application to the Royal Thai Embassy, 30, Queen’s Gate, London S.W.7 or the Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 0120. Tel 0066-228/3101-10 Ext.2236. 

The extended stay is also available to applicants undergoing health rehabilitation in hospitals or Health Centres, who will apply on behalf of the patients. If the Visa has been issued by the Embassy in London on arrival in Thailand the one year length of stay will be determined and granted at the Immigration Checkpoint. 

Up to the first 90 days of residence the Applicant must report to the Authorities concerned and every 90 days thereafter. This can be done personally or through completion of FORM T.M.47 obtainable from the Immigration Office.

Prior to the completion of the one year stay an extension can be obtained on application to the Immigration Bureau with certified documentation confirming required financial position regarding income. 

At present Consulates are not authorised to issue the special NON-IMMIGRANT CAT 0-A Visa but once the working of the current system is established, the position could be reviewed.